[DeTomaso] Rear a-arm bushings, a bit of a problem

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Thu Jul 3 00:05:44 EDT 2008

After having such good luck with the front bushings I figured the back
would be just as simple.  Getting the old bushings out was actually a
lot easier, since I was familiar with the process and just zipped right
through it.  Pressing the new ones in however, turned into a disaster.

Of the eight, I have three that refused to press all the way in.
Instead, the shoulder used to press against decided to begin mushrooming
at about an 1/8" from fully seated.  So now instead of the bushing being
pressed flat to the edge of the a-arm, it's now slightly mushroomed to
meet the edge of the a-arm.  And again, unlike the bushings that came
out, with rubber protruding on both sides, the news ones have none
protruding from the inside edge.  Now, with three of them not even fully
seated properly, I don't think I have a snowballs chance of actually
getting them back in the car.

I don't if I should be pissed or simply apathetic.

The way I figure it at this point, I need to order three new bushings
(more money) and hack out three brand new ones just installed.  I'm not
very happy at the moment.

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie