[DeTomaso] what`s this.

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Jul 2 17:47:13 EDT 2008

In a message dated 7/1/08 3:31:24 PM, torbharl at online.no writes:

> I think one of the valve rods look a little bend. so I will buy them all
> new. It`s the only thing (so fare) looks to be old , in the engine. Any ideas
> where to buy a set. And a set of engine gasket.

The pushrods should be 5/16" OD 'Boss-type' units, as these are hardened so
they can be used with roller rocker arms and steel guide plates- which will rub
on the pushrods. Std pushrods are unhardened and will wear rapidly if guide
plates are used. Even if you don't know have an adjustable valvetrain and
roller rockers, if you change in the future, you'll need the hardened pushrods
then. If you only want to replace the pushrods, all U.S speedshops and engine
builders sell them for a 351-C.
But I'd also closely inspect all the hydraulic lifters for concave bottoms
with a small straight-edge. If you find any, that lifter is destroyed as is the
mating cam lobe, so both will need replacing. This gives you an opportunity to
upgrade to a different cam for more power or torque, and all the cam grinders
sell integrated kits for their cams that includes lifters, pushrods and valve
springs designed to work together. This can get expensive to do a piece at a
time and not all parts will work correctly together, so the kits are a good
deal IMHO. Good luck- J Deryke