[DeTomaso] Fresh Air retrofitting ?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jan 30 17:24:57 EST 2008

In a message dated 1/28/08 11:20:33 PM, dtpantera at gmail.com writes:

> I heard that the early 71's had a fresh air inlet... Is this the same inlet
> (or can) as the later Panteras came with?
>
>>>No.   The early Panteras had an inlet on the front side of the heater box
which attached directly to an opening at the rear of the plenum below/between
the two grilles just ahead of the windshield.   The mid '73 and later cars
used a vertical pipe which went up above the passenger's feet into the right side
of that plenum.

> And would anyone know if the fresh air box found in the later Panteras can
> be retrofitted to any year?
>
>>>I have one, and have been scratching my head about that for some time.
It seems quite possible to me.

> Has anyone done this ???  any pictures?
>
>>>I've got photos of both setups.   Here's the one of the later setup:

http://members.aol.com/mikeldrew/PanteraFreshAir.jpg

I believe the caption is wrong with respect to the function of the valve,
however.   I think it either allows air to travel from the outside, into the side
of the heater box, or it seals air from the outside, and instead draws air
from directly in front of the passenger.   I don't think it seals the box and
blows cold air onto the passenger, as I had originally asserted.