[DeTomaso] Axle Bearing help

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Jan 28 23:21:39 EST 2008

In a message dated 1/28/08 6:29:55 PM, wdemelo at cogeco.ca writes:

> I've removed the axle nut. Now what? Do I need to press the axle out? Do I
> need to press the bearings out afterwards?

The axle will need pressing, after you knock the five lug studs inward. They
won't come out all the way, but thats five less sources of holding when you do
press the axle loose. You also need a stand-off so the axle can drop down
from the carrier, and the stand-off needs to cover as large an area as possible.
Using two small press stands can break the rotor in several pieces.
Once the axle is out, there a front bearing retainer plate held in by 4
straight-slot metric flathead screws. If you're lucky, they will unscrew by hand
but have an impact driver handy. The bearings are slip-fits into their recesses
(the rear one has no retainer; it floats in its recess)   and can be carefully
tapped out w/hammer & driver, but who knows what kind of glue 36 years of
congealed grease will degrade to. Good luck- J DeRyke