[DeTomaso] Pushbutton Lock failure Question

clay willmott claywillmott at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 27 08:26:00 EST 2008

Failure to be able to lock pushbutton door on passenger side:

The push button mechanism works Perfectly as long as you dont need to lock it.  Basically to open or shut the door from both the inside or outside is perfect.  The problem is the door cannot be locked.  Also, you cannot simply push the lock down on the inside of the door-It will not push down.

Thus I think it is more than a key issue otherwise I would lock the door from the inside when I park it and enter through my working lock and key on the drivers side.

If the door lock cannot be pushed down form the inside it is jammed or broken?  And maybe the key is the right key.  The key will enter the lock but NOT turn.

That is why I thought I should remove and inspect it.  If I cant figure it out the locksmith said he would look at it.

Any thoughts?  I think the potmetal housing degradation would not explain the above???

Thanks
Clay