[DeTomaso] Valve job

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Sat Jan 26 12:07:10 EST 2008

Dear Bill,

             I am an engine rookie, but if understand correctly, you had
cylinder head work done.   It required the installation of new valve seats.
When the job was finished, you found that the new valve seats sit about
1/16" high into the combustion chamber??    The new valve seats do not sit
flush as did the originals??

             Either I have the wrong mental image of this or I think that
there is something fundamentally wrong with the machine shop work.   That
raised 1/16"  doesn't sound like it is proper or correct.   I have  heard
that installing new hardened valve seats is a major PITA.    Perhaps, it was
a bigger job and harder than the machinist anticipated.....

             Hopefully, more experienced and qualified gearheads will
comment.

                            Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles