[DeTomaso] Mini starters

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Jan 26 10:33:00 EST 2008

In a message dated 1/26/08 7:27:15 AM, red3644 at hotmail.com writes:

> It's in the 70s today instead of the Arctic 40s of the last few days so I
> can get some work done.  I have a mini starter
> that was supposed to come with an adapter kit to wire it up.  The photos
> look like a single wire with a spade connector and an eyelet.  I can make that
> but I don't know what to do with it.  There's a spade end on the starter so
> that narrows that down for me, but what happens from there?  Do I eliminate
> something?  Not too good with electrisicals.
>

>>>One of the terminals on the solonoid mounted on the starter is the "+".
Giving that terminal power 'turns it on' and gets the starter rotating.

If you keep your stock solonoid mounted on the firewall, then the cable from
that solonoid to the starter itself is not powered until you turn the key.
The stock solonoid closes and allows power to pass through the cable down to
the starter.

But nothing happens with that power, because the solonoid on the starter body
isn't powered.   So, you fab a jumper from the main cable mount to the tab,
and when the power flows down to the starter, it then flows through your
jumper, activating the starter-mounted solonoid and VAROOM! :>)

Dennis at PPC has a spiffy diagram.

The other alternative is to bypass the stock solonoid entirely.   Move both
main cables to one side of the stock solonoid (using it solely as a connector).
  Fab an extension to the key-powered wire which goes to the stock solonoid,
and extend that to the starter-mounted solonoid.

Now, you have 12v power from the battery all the way to the starter, and when
you turn the key, the key-powered wire activates the starter.

Either way works fine; bypassing the stock solonoid is more work but
eliminates a potential failure source.