[DeTomaso] NPC - Truck Shopping

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Jan 22 23:45:45 EST 2008

In a message dated 1/22/08 18 31 30, tonydigi at optonline.net writes:

> I'm shopping for a new V-8 Ford Sport Trac.  Currently following the advise
> on www.carbuyingtips.com.
> Just checking if anyone has an inside track, like an uncle that owns a
> dealership. Or any other related advise.

I'm not a new-car-buying kinda guy.   But several friends have utilized the
services of a car broker, and have saved astounding amounts of money above and
beyond the best possible internet deal available.

I don't really understand exactly how it works, or rather, WHY it works.
But these car broker dudes apparently do such volume business that they are
afforded the opportunity to buy cars at a deep, deep discount.   You just go to
them and tell them what you want, and how specific you are.   If you're flexible
on color, or whatever, that gives them more wiggle room.   But you can be as
exact as you like.

Rick Moseley was very specific indeed.   He wanted a new Toyota pickup truck,
a certain model, with certain features, and only in black.   He actually
found one that suited his tastes locally.   The dealer wouldn't come down on price
and was offering him peanuts for his trade-in (a very nice, also black and
only a few years old Toyota pickup).

So, Rick went to the broker.   The guy took down all his information and his
wants, and went to work.   A couple of days later, the broker called him back
and said he could get a truck that ticked all the right boxes, for X dollars,
and would give him Y dollars for his trade-in.   As I recall, the broker price
was at least 2-3 thousand dollars less than the dealer's 'best offer' and the
trade-in on his old truck was higher too.   So of course Rick jumped at it.

As it happens, the broker was delivering literally the same truck; he got it
from the local dealer and handed it over to Rick.   And for his services he
charges a flat fee, something like $500.   Money exceptionally well-spent!

(Ironically, the day after Rick took delivery of the truck, the dealership
phoned him, trying to reel him in to come back into the store and continue
dealing on it--Rick had to (gleefully) announce that he was at that very moment the
owner of the truck they were trying to sell him--and that he'd paid a hell of
a lot less for it!)

Look up 'auto broker' in your local yellow pages, then give one of them a
call and see what he has to say!