[DeTomaso]   Dash-mounted mirror?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jan 21 19:28:20 EST 2008

In a message dated 1/21/08 11 23 30, dimewagon at verizon.net writes:

> Just got back from a trip wherein I drove a few (ahem!) mph over the speed
> limit and as such had my eyes peeled for smokey the whole time.  I found
> that the vibration of the stock roof-mounted rear-view mirror made it
> difficult to clearly identify the vehicles behind me.  The dash seems to
> vibrate less than the windshield/roof and might be a good place to mount a
> mirror.  Has anybody tried this?

The mirror shouldn't vibrate.   Mine vibrated rather badly because I was a
weenie and didn't tighten the mounting screws tightly enough.   You can pop the
mirror off the mounting bracket (the small bit that is attached to the
headliner bow), and then there are a pair of Phillips screws there.   I actually put
some rubber innertube between the underside of the fiberglass headliner bow
and the metal roof, although I don't know if that was really necessary.
Tightening the screws as much as I dared then (mostly) fixed the problem.

My motor mount rubbers are original, ancient and rock-hard.   I suspect if I
got new ones, it would absorb much of the engine vibes and clear up whatever
mirror vibrations are remaining...