[DeTomaso] (NPC) drag racing gone bad

hoppe1 hoppe1 at cox.net
Sun Jan 20 10:32:41 EST 2008

Not sure if this is what happened, but I had the rear end roll over in my
429 mustang.   The spring perches crush and the u bolts stretch or break if
you have enough horsepower and traction.

My drag race buddy said put these slicks on with 8 lbs of air. hold 4000
rpms and side step the clutch when the tree comes down.

So I did, it ran good a few time and then, it makes a real mess of a drive
shaft, rear end housing and bottom of the car when it all comes apart.

After it happened it seemed like everyone thought I should have known to
gusset the spring perch and install thicker u bolts than a factory 429 with
a 31 spline axle etc.  I stopped doing the drag racing because the experts
said if I didn't start welding frame connectors etc I would wrinkle the body
from the torque and it would make it really hard to put it back to a
collector car.

Rich