[DeTomaso] Flywheel and damper recommendation

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 20 10:23:23 EST 2008

I'm happy with my Fidanza.

The only thing I don't like is the bolt holes aren't drilled for shoulder
bolts.  You have to use Chevy (larger) pressure plate bolts if you run the
Centerforce dual friction clutch/pp.  Chevy PP bolts are shoulder bolts.

I wouldn't be upset with Larry if I were you.  He doesn't make the
flywheels.  I imagine he's done the research (so you know it'll fit), and
then he buys a specific Hays or Centerforce flywheel.  You'd pay about the
same amount if you bought the flywheel from Summit, but then you'd be
wondering if it were going to fit.

I don't believe the Fidanza flywheels were available for 351C's until
recently.  Larry is probably just selling the part he knows works.

Here's a link to the flywheel I bought.  It says Hawks Racing, but it came
in a Fidanza box.  $279.99.

http://www.themustangdepot.com/servlet/the-143/HAWKS-RACING-ALUMINUM-FLYWHEE
L/Detail

Fidanza from Summit is $339
Centerforce from Summit (3 around $600)
Hays from Summit is $609.95

By the way, while the flywheel is very light, the pressure plate is not.  I
have it all apart right now.  I'll put everything on a scale and post the
results.

I posted this before.  What I really want to try is a small dual disc
circle-track type clutch.  I know at least one person that is running Dennis
Quella's racing dual-disc on the street.  He doesn't have any problems with
it.  There's no chatter, and it doesn't bog.

Will.