[DeTomaso] First production RHD?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Jan 19 16:21:39 EST 2008

In a message dated 1/19/08 13 03 37, Pantera007 at sbcglobal.net writes:

> Does anyone know what the first production RHD car is (or when made)?
>
> I'm not talking about retro-fitted by the factory, or after-market
> conversions.

Right now the earliest known RHD Pantera is pushbutton #1228.   However,
recent inspection has revealed that the VIN was stamped on a plate which was
riveted to the top of the brake booster box; removing that shows a steel plate
which was welded atop the booster box, and the original VIN has been scratched
out.   Phil Stebbings (DTDC founder/secretary and a long-time inspector for
Scotland Yard) is hoping to do a little CSI action on it and see if the original
VIN can be lifted.

The car in question has many unique features which are very different even
from early Euro pushbuttons, specifically Stephane Bergeron's #1256.   Roger
Brotton is working on it, and has found a host of anomolies which are completely
unique to this car (in his experience).

Roger is looking for somebody with a very early Pantera (such as Bjorn's
#1014) so he can compare notes; he believes this car may in fact be the very first
RHD prototype.   That car was reportedly crashed severely by an idiot
journalist, and now it seems that the car in question may have been 'reinvented' from
that car in an effort to hide its checkered past.   When the restoration
began, they found that the entire left side of the car was made out of bondo,
which jives with the story of the crash (journalist mistook the gas for the brake,
or something similarly stupid, and pounded the whole left side of the car
into a guardrail).

The whole LHD-to-RHD conversion process was extremely flaky; I've worked on a
couple of RHD cars and it's rather scary to contemplate.   The clutch and
brake masters are still on the LH side of the car; the framework that supports
the steering column is literally chopped out from the left side and sloppily
re-welded on the right side, and some hokey cross-shaft arrangement is conjured
up , so that the pedals on the right side of the car turn shafts (which act
like big torsion bars, twisting under load) which in turn actuate their
respective master cylinders.

I've got a bunch of photos detailing the LHD-to-RHD conversion, and will
write an article about it for Profiles someday....

Come to think of it, that crash I mentioned may have been caused by the brake
pedal shaft snapping; other RHD Panteras have had this shaft snap cleanly in
two, creating a true Brown Trousers moment for the occupants of the car at the
time....