[DeTomaso] Welding

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Jan 19 15:13:40 EST 2008

In a message dated 1/18/08 4:20:36 PM, wdemelo at cogeco.ca writes:

> Do I have to be concerned with welding on a car that does not have an
> ignition (MSD) box?

Not sure but I'd be suspicious of almost anything that had solid state
components in it, since one of the little quirks that makes our cars so darn
endearing (?) is the presence of ground-loops in the wiring. A ground loop occurs
when 'ground' in a circuit turns out to be not quite zero for a variety of
reasons. You can get some positive potential madly racing thru your wiring looking
for a true zero ground. If the amperage is high enough, those
not-quite-zero-points can be trouble-makers. I simply disconnect the few solid-state things we
have before doing electric welding. Good luck- J DeRyke