[DeTomaso] Canadian drag racing threatened? BIG NPC

Rick rwgushue at gte.net
Thu Jan 17 02:50:53 EST 2008

FYI, got this from another mailing list, interesting if really true. Any
Canadian Pantera owners know about this ??
Racers, it seems the sky is truly falling. The Government of Canada is
planning to implement a total and permanent ban on the use of leaded
fuels for competition purposes, effective January 1st, 2009.

If this happens, Professional Drag Racing in Canada is over. Immediately,
completely and forever. This isn't the same as the challenges we've faced
in the past. This time, they're dropping the 'Big One'.
No Pro Mod, No Pro Stock, No Top Fuel or Nitro Funny Car and no American
competitors in any of our sportsman classes. Only Alcohol Funny Cars
would remain unscathed.

Although many Canadian sportsman competitors run their cars effectively
on unleaded racing fuel or methanol, any of our competitors using leaded
fuel have two choices. Change or quit.

The legislation arrived in our office last week. We took the time to read
the document from start to finish to make sure we weren't overreacting.
Then we talked to fuel suppliers, the IHRA and local politicians,
including London's Bud Polhill; a long time drag racing advocate in the
Canadian fuel wars.

What makes this bill viciously unfair is, they indicate that there may be
increased health risks associated with leaded fuels than previously
thought, and are advocating this change without any actual testing or
proof. The US, Britain and Australia must not put much faith in this new
information as they have no changes planned in their Leaded fuel for
competition vehicles policies at volumes 10 to 100 times the annual Cdn.
volume. Also the passing of this bill does not eliminate leaded fuel, it
only eliminates our portion, which is 1.5% of the leaded fuel consumed in
Canada (these are the Govt's own numbers right in the report
Industry profile) the remaining 98.5% is used as aviation fuel and they
have been given a permanent exemption. (which includes private pleasure
planes, etc.)

Bottom line, it's as bad as it seems. The Canadian Government are
legislating Canada's largest racing facilities out of business. The
document can be found on the Government of Canada website, under Canada
Gazette Part 1, Dec. 22, 2007. The link to the document is:
http://canadagazette.gc.ca/partI/2007/20071222/html/regle1-e.html
If you're passionate about our sport, I can only beg you to call, write
and email every politician you can think of, and let them know how you
feel about your sport being forced out of existence.YOU NEED TO DO THIS
ASAP AS THE COMMENT PERIOD FOR THIS ACTION CLOSES ON FEB 20th , 2008 and
it will then be scheduled for a vote. Make sure the companies that tailor
their businesses around the performance industry know as well. They've
got a big stake in this too.

This is the link that takes you to the current Members of Parliament.
http://webinfo.parl.gc.ca/MembersOfParliament/MainMPsCompleteList.aspx
On the left side of the page, you will see a text box labeled; Quick
Search. Type in the name of your City or County to go to your local
representative.

Some of Canada's smaller tracks may in fact survive, as their facilities
are geared toward handling smaller events, slower cars and fewer
spectators. Canada's Super Tracks, that have invested millions and
continue to invest in their facilities on a yearly basis, like Castrol
Raceway and Grand Bend Motorplex will, in all likelihood, cease to be.
Picture the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, without the Maple Leafs and the
Raptors.

You know, it's funny. No matter how many storms you weather, you never
really believe that one big wave is going to hit, until you're already
upside down in the freezing water.

To all the Drag racing competitors, crew and fans; thank you for your
support and let's have a great year of racing in 2008. It may very well
be our last.

Take care and play safe.

Ron Biekx
General Manager, Grand Bend Motorplex