[DeTomaso] YOU QUESTIONED JACK????Re:  Air cleaner

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Jan 15 14:41:23 EST 2008

In a message dated 1/14/08 3:33:56 PM, teampantera at yahoo.com writes:

> I'm curious what filters you used and did you use a single or double stack
> filters on each side of the dogbone filter for your engine dyno tests?

Good questions- and was the choke housing cut off the carb? This common mod
will have a MAJOR effect on airflow thru a tight-fitting air cleaner.
But it's OK, Dennis- JT probably doesn't realize there are two or maybe three
DIFFERENT 'dog-bone' air cleaners possible, that all look pretty much
identical. The original cast-aluminum side-draft air cleaner was introduced by B & M
as the 'High-Tek' to fit under the hoods of blown street rods in the late
'80s. These came either with B & M's logo on top or without. Later, street rodders
without blowers picked up on the thing's unique and attractive shape and
nicknamed it the 'dogbone'. B & M quite possibly found that airflow thru a cleaner
strapped to a 6-71 Jimmy air-pump is way-different than on a normally
aspirated engine, so they may have raised the unit or did something inside as a
production change. To add to the confusion, B & M is famous not only for innovation
but also for co-developing speed parts, and apparently tied up with Holley/Mr
Gasket around the turn of the century; Holley now sells the same-appearing
'dogbone' air cleaner, and their engineers are certainly capable of correcting a
design.
The two dogbones I raised a decade ago to correct high rpm air starvation
with unaltered carb throats probably were B & Ms; one owner now lives in N.M and
the other has passed away- if it was worth pursuing any further. My error
(w/20 yrs of hindsight) was not measuring the clearance between the inside-top and
the carb, and recording it for posterity, I guess.
Finally, in private e-mails with the guy who started this thread, he's
decided he really doesn't need a 10-1/2-lb, $250 air cleaner on his nearly stock
Pantera. So, on to more important questions- J DeRyke