[DeTomaso] Timing chain, gear sets and thrust plates/bearings

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Jan 14 14:35:43 EST 2008

Agreed, AJ. The only Pantera person I ever knew to actually need one was our
friend Jorn Cato Olsen in Norway with a roller-cam Fontana aluminum-block in
his car. The stock cam thrust plate in this
sprint-car engine had allowed enough movement to scar the block face (which
is a Windsor type). Fortunately, the Summit timkin-bearing thrust system,
developed for roller cam Chevy engines, was thick enough so the machining needed to
fit it removed the scarring. The instruction with some timking-bearing thrust
sets mention that either the face of the block or the backside of the cam
sprocket may need to be cut to maintain chain alignment. That's why I said 'only
under certain circumstances'- Cheers- J Deryke