[DeTomaso] Timing chain, gear sets and thrust plates/bearings

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Jan 14 13:27:28 EST 2008

In a message dated 1/13/08 12:30:18 PM, pantera at fastcat.se writes:

> I'm thinking of a double roller chain but I'm not sure about the complete
> configuration
> regarding thrust plates/bearings. The only thrust plates I found at Summit
> was a kit for $104. Do I need that kind of kit?

That kit is for roller tappet cams, and is only needed under certain
circumstances with them. Further, the kit need some machining done to the block or cam
sprocket to allow it to fit in the space provided. For a hydraulic or solid
flat-tappet cam, you only need the chain and its sprockets- and the sprockets
are normally included. The only recommendation is to avoid buying only by
price: the cheaper double row chain sets are made in India or Taiwan, not normally
known for being 351-C experts nor for long-lived parts. Stick with Cloyes or
Edelbrock for reliability. Good luck- J DeRyke