[DeTomaso] pictures and an oil question

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Mon Jan 14 12:21:00 EST 2008

Thanks, Doug.

I realized that the pictures I posted of the gill fill were midway through the project, and the latch mechanism isn't showing.  I'm planning on taking more pictures to show the entire thing.

I share your concern about the door accidentally opening at speed, and one of the things I did was file the little plunger that fits in the latch hole so it almost "locks" in place, making an errant opening less likely.  However, remembering Murphy's law, I also plan on adding a safety cable running from one of the front bolts down through the bolt's matching hole to prevent the door from overextending.  It's one of those things I keep meaning to do, but since it's not a pressing problem at the minute, I keep forgetting.

I seem to be easily distracted since I tend to be sort of obsessive compulsive about things.  An example is yesterday, when I went out to simply screw the kick panel back in place (it turns out my heater repair will be delayed due to back-ordered seals and I'm still driving the car in the meantime), and ended up fabricating a cover for under the passenger side dash.  I noticed in some of the pictures of my car's interior a bunch of ugly wires were visible, so I got busy with some cardboard, a tape measure, contact cement, leftover leather from my engine-cover project, and velcro, and two hours later the underside of my Pantera Dash looks as clean as the Cadillac's!  And it can be removed in about 20 seconds, too.

Sincerely,

Chris