[DeTomaso] Air cleaner

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Sun Jan 13 21:09:12 EST 2008

The poor dogbone!  It just can't get Jack's respect.

Jack, I need to have a little fun with you.

I swear, we have measured the dogbone's effectiveness on both an engine dyno
and chassis dyno over the last five years and posted the results each time.
We even tested it on a warmed over 377 and a monster 408 where any breathing
compromises would have been exaggerated relative to a 351. The 408 gave away
10HP compared to no aircleaner at all (Didn't have a round one to avail to
measure loss), and the 377 actually made one more when compared to the round
air cleaner. Heck, the air cleaner even weighs only 58% of what you
perceive.  Thankfully, I am still young enough to single-handedly install
the 7lb air cleaner w/o an assistant.  Although, perhaps it is time for you
to hit the gym.  :^)

Honestly, every time we address your previous observations regarding the
dogbone with these quantitative measurements, I assume the fog from your
eyes has been lifted and your future posts might mention this perspective
along with your other experiences.

You see Jack, you are wearing us out.  You are the POCA/PI Guardian and
Master Mechanic who has the generous disposition and saintly patience to
respond with clarity and detail to topics and questions served up to the
list by newer participants who have not heard them beat to death five times
before.  I have always admired this about you.  You are a treasure to this
Forum!

However, when you don't illuminate others' research, that tempers your
opinion, you force the rest of us to get off our butts and contribute to the
list.  A few of us are getting tired of this.  Whether you like or not, we
view your role to be the one with the encyclopedic knowledge and the final
authority on things Pantera.  This means you have the responsibility to
expose all the angles in your posts; yes, even those opposed to your
opinion.  In this manner, folks like I can continue to sift through the
Forum e-mails looking for something fresh, new and personally relevant,
while you and Mike Drew carry all the heavy lifting for the newer members
who surface well trodden topics.

Ashamed of myself in Houston

JT