[DeTomaso] Timing chain, gear sets and thrust plates/bearings

Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se
Sun Jan 13 15:59:16 EST 2008

Fredrik Gustavsson skrev:
> I'm trying to find the right parts for my engine build. I'm thinking of a
> double roller chain but I'm not sure about the complete configuration
> regarding thrust plates/bearings. The only thrust plates I found at Summit
> was a kit for $104. Do I need that kind of kit? Any recommendations?

I'm using one of these, and couldn't be happer:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-351C-400-Rollmaster-Torrington-timing-chain-set_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33616QQihZ011QQitemZ320139337386QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Really high class, with a torrington thrust bearing.

many of the greatest 351C parts comre from Australia.

> http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA%2D3122TB&autoview=sku
>
> Engine: 351c (450hp)
> Cam: Crane hydraulic roller

Beware about the bolt hole for the timing gear. It is not drilled out
enough for the bolt shank in the Crane steel cam blanks, and had I not
tried to install an ARP bolt set, which uses a thinner washer than
stock, I would probably not have noticed and I could have installed the
gear with inadequate torque!

I contacted Crane about this, and they did not admit it was a fault in
their design. The flat tappet hydraulic Crane I had before was drilled
properly. I ended up using an Unbrako fully threaded bolt with the stock
Ford washer.

My theory is that this is the reason for some catastriphical failures
where the index pin has sheared and major engine damage resulted.

> Thanks
> Fredrik

Cheers,
Thomas