[DeTomaso] [Detomaso] Exhaust Colors

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Jan 13 14:11:45 EST 2008

In a message dated 1/13/08 7:28:36 AM, mjm at knology.net writes:

> Pulled the other header late yesterday and found that I had the same thing.
> Three pipes black and one  white. Could see some oil leakage around several
> of the exhaust stems so I also have some seal issues.

Ghostly white piston tops, valves, sparkplugs or pipes are usually indicative
of a severely lean mixture which can come from many areas including the carb
itself. Anotherf which was mentioned is a vacuum leak anywhere in the intake
(or sometimes, in the exhaust) tract. Heavy black deposits on the valves &
ports are indicative of either over-rich carburetion or oil leaks- valve stem
seals are one source of oil, as are cracked or relaxed rings, or intake manifild
leaks (inside the tappet chamber which suck out oil). Remember, its hard enough
diagnosing this stuff when you're present; long-distance guesses are just
that- guesses. This calls for a tech session exam. Good luck- J DeRyke