[DeTomaso] Air cleaner

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Jan 13 02:30:17 EST 2008

In a message dated 1/12/08 6:27:03 PM, rimov at charter.net writes:

> I was under the impression those dog bone cleaners really were really
> restrictive on air flow. Thought I saw a study comparing several air cleaners and
> the dog bone cleaners got the two thumbs down on air flow.

I have some problems with those Holley dogbone cleaners: first they now cost
$250. Second, they weight 12 lbs while a less showy 14" dia paper filter
weighs 2 lbs, costs 1/5 of the dogbones and has more filtering capacity. Those
filters can be doubled up on each side by adding longer mounting studs, as Forest
Goodheart used on his Magnecharged 392 stroker- he has major clearance issues
which is why he ran it.. He seemed not to have much air restriction with the
quad-filter mod.

Sometimes its not the air cleaner itself but the fact that air into the
engine must make a VERY sharp turn from the side-mount filters down into the carb,
and the clearance between top of carb and inside of air cleaner casting is
quite close- hence restrictive on some setups. I've fixed a few of these things
by simply adding a pop-rivited 1-1/2" sheet metal spacer around the air cleaner
mount such that it stood up an inch higher above the carb. The engines
appeared happier and revved higher after adding the spacer; whether any more power
appeared is unknown. FWIW- J DeRyke