[DeTomaso] Cutting chrome tips

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Jan 12 09:16:32 EST 2008

In a message dated 1/11/08 13 48 25, duz185 at ori.net writes:

> Hi guys. I have the Mind Train exhaust witht he chrome tips on my car, but
> being a Pre-L, the tips are way tool long and I'd like to cut them. What's
> the best way to cut them and achieve the cleanest cut? 12" cutting wheel on a
> miter saw? Hacksaw?

You could cut V-shaped notches in the top of the pipes where the undesirable
bend is, then bend the tips straight and weld the pipes back together.   A
hacksaw would be precise and probably quite time-consuming, while a Sawzall would
probably make short work of the cutting.

Best to do this job with the pipes off the car.   Cut 'em, bend 'em, weld
'em, grind the welds smooth, mask the tips, paint the pipes with black header
paint, and away you go.