[DeTomaso] door skins

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Jan 11 15:59:34 EST 2008

In a message dated 1/11/08 11:20:53 AM, ehpantera at yahoo.com writes:

> Has anyone had experience with door skins from the various vendors? Quality
> and fit? How do the Aluminum ones compare....

Dunno anyone who's done this except Hall. The fit should be OK assuming not
much warpage of the Pantera body & door frames has occurred, since the skins
are so oversized as-received.
The interesting procedure is simple in concept for nearly any car- after
cutting off the stock skin, the oversized new skin is aligned on a new or good
used door frame (methods vary) and the overlapping edges of the skin are bent
around to clamp it in place- no screws or welding used due to the uisual
heat-distortion. Bigger bodyshops have giant clinchers to cinch the bent-around
skin-edges & corners. Much trimming and aligning will be needed.
The only aluminum Pantera skins I've seen were at Hall Pantera many years ago
and may have been 'factory' Gr-4. He had aluminum front hood skins too, which
are mounted to their frame the same way; Hall's famous racer 'Big Red' used
the aluminum skins, I believe. Also dunno how much weight was saved-
undoubtably less than using real carbon fiber doors. Good luck & let us know how this
goes if you decide to do it- J DeRyke