[DeTomaso] coolant hoses

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Jan 7 12:52:41 EST 2008

In a message dated 1/7/08 6:56:55 AM, justingreisberg at hotmail.com writes:

> I have the fluidyne radiator.  I have followed advice here and gotten the
> 8919 NAPA hose, but that hose diameter is about 1/4" too big for the radiator
> inlet/outlet.  Anyone have any suggestions where to get right angle rubber
> hoses with a 1 3/8" inner diameter?  That 8919NAPA hose is too big, and I doubt
> it will make a leak-free connection.

Due to some really bad on-road experiences, Justin, I do not use nor
recommend formed-rubber hoses on a Pantera to make a bend. They are always of a lesser
quality rubber than the preferred hoses- Gates Green Stripe or if you're
flush with money- silicone hoses and their special clamps. Instead, I use 90
degree copper sweat-solder fittings available at any good hardware store, along
with short, straight sections of hose. 1-3/8" sized Gates Green Stripe hose can
be expanded with hot water and muscle-power enough to slide over a 1-1/2" OD
radiator fitting and a 1-1/2" OD sweat-solder fitting, and the same size hose
will also fit stock or aftermarket transfer tubes under the car. I use these
copper 90 degree fittings both at the radiator connections, and at the rear of
the long under-car tubes under the front of the engine.

Second- always use stainless steel U.S- made worm-drive hose clamps
everywhere. The stock Italian 3-piece look-alike clamps will fall apart some day, and
being galvanized mild steel, will rust too. Note that silicone hoses require
special aircraft-style hose-clamps to keep the soft silicone from extruding thru
the worm-drive slots, then getting cut and instantly falling apart. Good
luck- J DeRyke