[DeTomaso] oil-burning question

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Sun Jan 6 20:11:12 EST 2008

I need some expert opinions:  Today, after reading all the posts this week about grounding, etc. I replaced my old ground strap with a new one (after cleaning the contact points thoroughly), added a second ground strap from the bell housing-to-block bolt to the engine-bay brace bolt, and then took off the battery negative cable and cleaned up all its connections, too (thanks, Doug for the inspiration!)

Feeling pleased with myself because nothing broke while I was doing said activities, I thought I'd check the stereo to see if my grounding had helped the high-pitched whine problem.  It apparently didn't, at least not much.

However, when I started the car (it hadn't been driven for a few days) a lot of blue smoke belched out of the driver's side pipes.  I've had some oil burning problems with the passenger side before, but this seemed like a new problem.

After just a minute or two the oil burning stopped and the car continued to idle just fine.  Once warmed up, I goosed the throttle a bit and there was only the usual, small amount of blue smoke from the passenger side; nothing from the driver's side.  I shut it down and checked the oil which showed a level halfway between full and add (I shortened my dipstick a little some time ago to make it the correct length).

Any ideas as to why I saw the blue stuff upon startup, and from only the driver's side pipes?

Much appreciate your help.

Sincerely,

Chris