[DeTomaso] Moroso Race Filters vs HP-6's race filters Re: Dip Stick Tube Leak Solutions??

Mad Dog Antenucci teampantera at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 6 18:04:12 EST 2008

Speaking of oil and new or rebuilt engines!

  Anyone have any real data on the Filter Mag (magnets) that attach to filters? Understand they last a lifetime! Bwahahaha

  And did one of you  recently not copy the List on some product data tests on high performance race oil filters? Anyone have a copy? I have been using Moroso or Fram HP-1 duel-remote oil filters for about 7 years now.  But I recently  read Moroso race oil filters filter as small as 27 microns compared to Fram HP's 15 mircons.  It might not matter for frequent oil and filter changes.....At one time when I started racing I used the System One spin-off re-usable ss filter....can't remember what System One's filter claims were but I liked being able to read the oil.

  Dick Drenkse modified my dual remote element by opening up and polishing the passage way about double the size that it was originally . After my last engine overhaul bearings and the rest of the valve train all looked good but then I change oil religiously (after every ORR or track event)....fwiw.

  BTW, I've got all most 12 quarts in my engines wet sump oiling system. That is 9 quarts in the AVIAD oil pan, all most 2 more quarts in dual remote Moroso or HP-1 filters, 1 more quart for Fluidyne heat exchanger and oil lines.

  My overhauled engine waiting on intake and IR-EFI system and some oil and filters arriving end of next week

  Mad Dawg, enjoying the rain in SoCal with Na-Moan-Ya

Garth Rodericks <garth_rodericks at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Scott,

<<< One of the surprises during my recent engine rebuild was that this is a 2bolt main block, so obviously not original.>>>

Not necessarily so. Panteras came with whatever DeTomaso had on hand from Ford. Some
were 4-bolt mains and many were 2-bolt mains. IIRC you had the correct engine number
stamped into the back of the block (didn't you?). No one would have bothered to duplicated
the engine number stamping unless they were building a concours stock restoration. And
since your car wasn't, I doubt anyone would have duplicated the number.

<<< Besides not protecting the dipstick inside the block, this makes for a marginal dip stick
tube retention and if as I now suspect, the dipstick inserts 1/2" further into the block, it
makes the oil level appear to be higher than actual. With the Armando oil pan that was
installed with the recent engine rebuild that is a 10qt that is really a 9qt or whatever and
since I'm planning to install an oil cooler with that additional capacity, I should have no clue
how much oil is 'full'? >>>

Actual capacity is determined by filling an empty pan, installed on the engine in a car sitting
on flat ground, with 8qts. of oil. Mark your dipstick. Add one additional quart, and mark the
stick again. This is full. The first mark is the low mark. This should be only about 3/8" given
the sump area of the pan.
Source: http://www.realbig.com/pipermail/detomaso/2007-November/091125.html

Cheers!
Garth