[DeTomaso] Dip Stick Tube Leak Solutions??

fresnofinches at aol.com fresnofinches at aol.com
Sun Jan 6 00:15:54 EST 2008

Larry, are you suggesting watching the dipstick to see if it moves???

Scott

Exactly, Scott.

Do you think that
tube, even at just 1/2 inch long, is getting
blown out of the block
hole by crankcase pressure??
Perhaps, but I'm kind off doubting it.

It is a really tight
stock press fit into the block, and they are not easy to pull out.?
just went out and measured the Cleveland block I have outside in the
shed (it has no tube) -
the block shaft for the tube is less than 2
inches long -? yet Ford made that tube just
shy of ten inches long
below the o-ring position.? That means the stock tube supported
about
eight inches of dipstick that would otherwise be unrestrained inside
the block/pan,
and there is more stick below the bottom of the tube.?
>From the measurements I took
I think you have about 10-11 inches of
unsupported dipstick below the bottom of the
block shaft.? IF it goes
in perfectly straight, then no problem.? But.....

If you see no movement with crank rotation, (and I'm hoping you don't)
then the flaring
suggestion seems a good start.? I'd probably approach
that task with a center punch or
drift that has a tapered, round shaft
leading into the standard square shank.

By the way, the tube for the Pantera is unique for the Pantera, and thus pretty $carce.?? Sorry.

Good luck.

Larry