[DeTomaso] Electrical nightmare scenario...

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Jan 5 02:25:40 EST 2008

In a message dated 1/2/08 7 47 49, doug at silicondesigns.com writes:

>     What's the thinking behind the radiator fan coming on whenever you
> activate
> the interior heater/blower fan?  If you're turning on the heater, that
> removes heat from the system so the radiator fan is needed less.  If you're
> turning on your air conditioning then that would be a reason to turn on the
> radiator fan but why not just let the thermal switch do its job only as
> needed?  Is this the stock setup?
>
>>>Yes, it's stock.   In fact virtually all modern automobiles (at least the
few that I've looked at) with the A/C condensor located with the water
radiator are wired so that when you turn on the A/C, the radiator fan comes on also.
 Remember, unlike a Pantera, those other cars don't have a dedicated fan for
the A/C condensor; since both condensor and radiator share a single fan (or
single set of fans), then either condition triggers the fan.

When Panteras are modified to move the A/C up front, one of the modifications
includes dual-triggering the radiator fans as per the above.

> >PS:  I never trust the "look" of a fuse.  I always test a suspect fuse with
> a voltmeter set to its lowest Ohms scale.  Anything reading above what you
> get when you touch the meter's leads together is a suspect fuse.  I prefer
> the glass fuses because of the way the plastic ones make it so easy to
> damage the fuse's conductor with your fingers.
>
>>>The only fuse failures I've ever had until now were with glass fuses,
which didn't blow; instead they melted internally, invisible to the eye.   They
looked great but didn't conduct any electricity...

Mke