[DeTomaso] Grounding Circuit Recommendations

Doug Braun doug at silicondesigns.com
Fri Jan 4 11:46:11 EST 2008

Forest,

	The starter mounting studs are too small and provide very little working
room for attaching the large ring tongue of thick ground cable.  In my post
yesterday I said I was using a bellhousing to engine block bolt; but that's
not correct.  I checked last night and my ground connection is actually to
the right lower ZF to bellhousing stud.  This stud screws directly into
threads in the bellhousing and is very near the starter so it's an ideal
connection point.  I remember now, that since it's an aluminum bellhousing
(subject to a natural surface oxide layer), I removed the stud, ran a tap
through the hole, cleaned the stud, and applied Kopr-shield to it so it
would make good permanent contact to the bellhousing.  Kopr-shield is a
compound that is specifically designed by T&B Ansley for making high current
copper to aluminum connections in AC electrical service panels.  I remember
doing the same re-tap and Kopr-shield'ing of the starter mounting studs.
I've had no starting problems since ten years ago when I did all this.  BTW,
Kopr-shield is available from
http://eastwood.resultspage.com/search?p=Q&ts=custom&w=kop-r-shield.

Doug Braun
blue 73L #5505