[DeTomaso] Engine Carburetion Experts

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 22:25:17 EST 2008

There are two different Holley Street Dominators for the 351C-2V.
The first has a trapezoidal opening and a single set of carb stud
holes.  That version will clear square bore carbs (Holleys, AFB's,
Autolite 4100 and Motorcraft 4300) as well as the 4300D Motorcraft
spread bore.  The wider secondaries of Quadrajet and Thermoquad
carbs won't clear.  The second version has dual carb stud holes and
an opening scalloped (the flange tapers to a smaller opening)for
Quadrajet and ThermoQuad throttle blade clearance.  It is taller at
the carb pad, as well.  The one in your pictures is the first version.
I've borrowed an example of the second version for the 351C mega-dyno
project.  I also have a Qjet here to rebuild.  If budget permits, I'll
try the Qjet against a Holley on the Street Dominator..

> I purchased a Holley 4150 series 600 cfm, model 0-4776C, and added
> the electric choke.

Does that have straight leg or down leg boosters?

> Holley offers an adaptor to allow usage of the square bore on a spread
> bore manifold, or vice versa.

Not required for your application.

Here is a link to a picture of the manifold showing where flow has been in
the past. It appears to be slightly restricted.

Dan is right about the 2v/4v mismatch.  A 4v intake will physically bolt
onto 2v heads, but the port mismatch will be terrible.

> If it bugs you, you should consider the new dual plane air-gap intake made
> by Edelbrock for 2v heads.  I think they're calling it the Performer RPM.
> I don't know if it will fit under your engine screen, but it would be a
> great match for your engine.

Performer RPM Air Gap 2V.  I will be placing an order for one in the next
week or two.  That should round out the list of 2V intakes available for
dyno teting:

 Edelbrock Performer 2V
  - low rise dual plane with Holley carb bolt pattern
  - runner ports the same size as cylinder head port

 Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap 351C 2V (P/N 7564)
  - high rise, air gap dual plane
  - runner ports are approximately the same size as cylinder head port
  - non-EGR
  - port exit dimensions: 1.38" x 2.04"

 Holley Street Dominator  351C-2V (300-12)
  - low rise open plenum single plane
  - the second version as described above

 Offenhauser Dual Port 351C-2V (6012-DP or is it 6111-DP?)
  - dual port design (runners split into top and bottom sections,
    plenum split fore and aft, primaries feed longer path lower
    runners, secondaries feed shorter path upper runners), spread
    bore bolt pattern

 Offenhauser Port-O-Sonic 351C-2V (6122)
  - medium rise single plane with Holley carb bolt pattern

 Parker Funnelweb 2V
  - high rise single plane

 Weiand X-Celerator 351V-2V (7516)
  - medium rise single plane with Holley carb bolt pattern, no EGR
  - have both versions for the dyno tests

Dan Jones