[DeTomaso] Brake Fluid for ItBWild

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 29 15:26:31 EST 2008

I thought that silicone brake fluid was a bad idea in performance applications because it's properties change when it gets hot and the brakes get spongy?

  Ken

Mad Dog Antenucci <teampantera at yahoo.com> wrote:

Mad Dog Antenucci wrote: Doug, Jack, Jim, all that replied

Thanks for all the feedback.....Is the Castrol Synthetic a 'silicone'?

I heard back from one person who immediately had problems with a silicone based brake fluid they used in their Pantera which ran past or potentially damaged seals.

I just want to make sure we are not comparing apples to oranges in comparing Castrol synthetic brake fluid with Synthetic........or does synthetic = silicone?

I am at work so I'll check the label tonight or in the morning before we start on brakes but I definately don't want to use any brake fluid (even free donated fluid!) that has silicone product if the feedback I got is correct. And frankly I don't need to worry about fluid temps.

And finally are other synthetic oils like Mobil One a silicone base?
Just curious

Dawg

Doug1 wrote:
MD,

The last time I researched this about 3 years ago, Valvoline Synpower was
the best overall choice for price vs high-temp performance as well as
compatibility in all types of brake systems. I've used it in all my cars
and it definitely is more fade resistant than the Castrol LMA I used to use.
It's also available almost everywhere.

Doug Braun