[DeTomaso] Shop Design garage door opener thoughs

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 27 10:44:23 EST 2008

We had a similar opener installed about a year ago, and the installer did NOT like the Wayne-Dalton unit.  He recommended a Liftmaster:

  http://www.liftmaster.com/consumerweb/products/pflResidentialJackshaft.htm

  It's really slick, but there is one issue with this type.  They turn the reels instead of pushing the door to close it.  If the door binds at all, the reels keep turning and the cables come off the reels.  It's OK if you catch it immediately (well, not OK for your wife), and can be corrected, but it can turn into a mess quickly, and it JAMS the door open.  The first time this happended was when I closed the door last August planning to leave to drive to Monterey.  About 3 hours later, I finally got it closed and left 3 hours late for a 350 mile drive.  I was not happy.

  Ken

"P. Rimov" <rimov at charter.net> wrote:
  If you are planning on using conventional roll up garage doors and are
planing on a four post lift check out these guys for a garage door opener.
http://www.wayne-dalton.com/DirectDrive.asp We are going to use these for
our new house in a couple of years.

Paul