[DeTomaso] Shop Design

Chris Difani cdifani at pacbell.net
Mon Feb 25 02:15:22 EST 2008

60" Scissor lift:

If you don't need the extra storage space (second car
underneath). One advantage that I really like about the scissor lift versus
the "drive on" lift, is you can "lean" into the car without having to lean
over the lift rail (or whatever they call the metal piece that the car tires
rest on). Some guys love those things because that's where they put their
tools and parts as they work. But I've found that they are always "in the
way" for me.

2 stage air compressor, 80 gallon tank, with auto tank drain.

Think about both area and task lighting. Area is fluorescents, the 40 watt,
4 ft bulbs, and personally you might look at the "daylight" bulbs, which are
much warmer than the standard tubes. Fluorescent bulbs come in different
temperatures, so pick one that you like. I've found that the "daylight"
shades don't give me headaches, whereas the old standard blue-white bulbs
always gave me a headache after a few hours under them.

Task lighting is direct incandescent or halogen, on a work area (example:
lights for a drill press table).
You want something that is NOT "energy saving". You want to SEE, not squint.

If you cruise thru Amazon or Barnes and Noble, you'll find a lot of books on
designing woodshop workspace. In many aspects, the needs are identical, so
the books are worthwhile.

And that's enough from me.

Chris

Chris Difani