[DeTomaso] 302 diagnosis

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Sun Feb 24 21:10:08 EST 2008

The 408 stroker in my first car.

I have an idea but am uncertain of the cause for lifter/lobe wear.  We
detected a problem a few years back at the club dyno day.  Above 5000 RPM
the HP and Torque curve went haywire.  I had sent the dyno report to JC and
without any doubt, he diagnosed it as a valve train issue.  I assumed it was
a broken or weak set of valve springs.  Since the stroker seemed pretty fast
(it still had the most torque at the dyno day, but not HP which the local
guys won't let me forget) and ran well, I was pretty lazy about addressing
the issue.  I was just disciplined to keep the engine below 5000RPM.  Also,
I had been out of town for almost a year.

On several occasions I removed the valve covers and inspected the springs
with a flashlight and mirror to see around the backside, but could find
nothing obvious.  Recently Will Kooiman lent me a valve spring pressure
checker that worked with the valve train fully assembled.  I knew the
springs pressure rating at 1.75" and began to check each spring at that
height.  With the car in 5th, we would roll it and watch the spring collapse
to that height.  Working from #8 forward, when we got to #3I there was no
lift.  While we stopped the exercise at that point, upon engine disassembly,
the #2 intake lobe and lifter (that we hadn't checked) had even more wear.
#6 was worn, yet enough to open the valve.  I am amazed at how well the car
ran on 6 cylinders - including 2 BBORR events when I blew by Mad Dawg on a
warm-up run.  :^)

Certainly a contributor was the implementation of heavier valve springs.  I
had originally told the cam builder that I hadn't planned on running the
engine over 6000RPM.  However, when we originally dynoed the engine on a
stand, the HP curve was still rising when the valves floated at 6300RPM.
The engine guy said that I had over 500HP in there if the springs were
stronger.  With that tidbit of knowledge, when I replaced the cracked cast
crank for a forged unit a year later, I took the opportunity to put stronger
springs on the heads.

Well, as they say - the rest is history.

Yesterday, I installed a Crane hydraulic roller and while Desktop Dyno
doesn't give me 500HP below 6000RPM.. It does give me over 500lbs of torque
from 2000 to 4500 RPM.  That kinda sounds like fun.  I degreed the cam last
night and attached the oil pan and heads today.  Ought to know better in
about a month when I've got it back on the road.  I am repainting the rear
trunk area and that will take a little time.

JT