[DeTomaso] Front A/C

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Feb 24 16:29:02 EST 2008

In a message dated 2/24/08 11 27 42, wdemelo at cogeco.ca writes:

> Is a lay down rad rq'd for front mount condenser?
>
>>>No, although that is the convention.   Actually, the most important thing
for front-mount A/C is putting the fans on the back side, which is possible
(albeit a tight squeeze) with the radiator in the stock location.

> Is there a "kit" to lay the rad down or is it Mcguivered?
>
>>>There are beautiful kits available.   They consist of stainless steel
straps that go in between the upper body mount, and the upper mount on the
radiator, which tilts the top forward.   They also have rather complex adapter which
bolt to the stock lower mounting tabs on the body, and reposition the bottom
of the radiator up and to the rear, which leans the radiator forward about 45
degrees.

If you only need a little bit of additional clearance, and are mounting your
fans on the rear, you can probably make your own simple straps to tilt the top
forward.   However, hood clearance may quickly become an issue.   I know that
on my car, my Hall radiator in the stock location just barely kisses the
underside of the hood, so I couldn't just tilt it forward without doing some
modifications down below.