[DeTomaso] 302 diagnosis

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sun Feb 24 12:18:03 EST 2008

Dennis,

Yea, that sounds pretty darn low.  The best thing to do is a cylinder
leak down test to see if it's rings or valves.  I have to wonder and
throw this out though.  What about valve timing?  If the cam is timed
one or two teeth off the wrong direction, it might cause a similar
problem; having the valves open when you don't really want them.  But
I'm probably just putting out false hope.

When I got done with the last 351C rebuild for the Mach I, my
compressions was near 200.  If you are getting a high of 75, I think
you're in for pulling things apart.  Make sure you are blocking the
throttle plates wide open when you test, disconnecting the coil,
cranking a minimum of three times, etc.

Are all cylinders low like this?
Are any adjacent cylinders the same?
Any water in the oil?
Any oil in the water?
Any popping out the intake or exhaust?
What's the crankcase pressure like after it warms up?

Let us know more,
Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie