[DeTomaso] 302 diagnosis

dyogi dyogi at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Feb 24 01:18:02 EST 2008

Need some help with the goose's 302. I've been having a problem with the
goose lately, it starts and idles and revs up great but with low vacuum
reading (about 10hg, I have a .456 lift/218 duration cam installed). As the
engine reaches normal operating temperatures, the idle drops until the
engine dies. If I increase the throttle the engine will stay running. It
will start right back up but will not idle until cool. I ran a compression
test today. Not sure what normal reading should be but they seem low and are
not consistent running about 50-75psi. I have to run the compression test
again after squirting some oil into the cylinders. If the readings stay the
same I am suspecting that I have valve problems. Am I on the right track? I
have swapped out 3 different ignition systems and three different
carburetors with no change which is why I ran the compression test.

Aloha from Hawaii,

Dennis

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9:35 PM