[DeTomaso] electrical question

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Feb 23 13:29:47 EST 2008

In a message dated 2/23/08 9 51 34, Mmcdoug68 at aol.com writes:

>    I have a 72 pre L.  There is a red wire coming from the  main harness
> behind the speedometer.  It's taped together with all the  wires that go to
> the
> speedometer.  It has a factory female spade terminal  on it.  Everything on
> the
> speedo is connected.  I have the Bill Taylor  CD but i'm not finding this
> wire.  Anyone know what its for ?

Just a guess, but does the idiot light on the dash illuminate when the second
radiator fan comes on?   If not, perhaps somebody disconnected it.

Originally that light was fuctional (drew power from a wire going from the
second fan relay), but idiot American drivers interpreted the amber 'fan' light
as a warning light that they were about to overheat.   The Lincoln-Mercury
solution was to disconnect the light!   Later cars (L-models) had the light in
the gauge but there was never any wire for it.   Annoying!