[DeTomaso] Idiots

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Sat Feb 23 02:05:02 EST 2008

I, too, had a funny experience while exercising restraint on the Freeway.  I was coming home from the Panteras Northwest meeting at Doug's house in Renton (next to Seattle) on Thursday night, going about 65, and I noticed a huge mass of car lights behind me; as if I were leading some kind of four-lane parade.

I couldn't figure out why no one was passing me, and then I noticed the car to my left (in the fast lane) was a State Patrol cruiser!  I hadn't noticed it (of course, I wasn't worried about police since I was using my trusty cruise control), but realized he had been running parallel to me for several miles and everyone behind us had seen him.  Everyone except the driver of a little hopped-up rice burner who went zooming by in the far right-hand lane, dodging traffic at about 80 mph!

I watched with some satisfaction as the docile car to my left suddenly sprung into action, lights blazing.  About a mile later I saw the speeder pulled over and I had to chuckle.  I guess I should have felt some sympathy, since "there but by the grace of God (and a lot of luck) go I!"

Sincerely,

Chris