[DeTomaso] Aluminum 351 Block

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 12:41:01 EST 2008

> P & S Foundry is long gone.

I figured as much.

> To bad the only tire made in town is the Goodyear racing tires. 350,000
> jobs were lost when the tires rolled out of town.

Wow, I didn't realize it was that bad.  Where does Goodyear make its tires
these days.

> Speaking of Ford 400's.  Isn't there a roller lifter kit available for
> the 351C that fits the 400 that doesn't require any block modifications?

Any roller lifters that fit a 351C will fit a 400.  There are drop in link
bar hydraulic and solid roller lifters available and you can use the OEM
spider and dogbone arrangement though you may have to use a reduced base
circle cam with the latter and there may be interference issues on certain
blocks.

> Not sure; its been 15 years since I handled it.

The tell-tale would be the extra bolt hole per cylinder.

> But the main caps on the "Ford" block you reference does not have the
> dry-sump protrusions on the passenger side of the 1st four caps, so
> maybe not.

The caps may have been replaced on that block.

> I have the assembled engine photos the seller sent. When I get time, I'll
> scan them in & send them for your collection.

Thanks and if you can find them, I'd like a copyu of the instructions that
come with the high port heads.  I loaned mine out and they never came back.

> Gary Hall has a 351C aluminum block.  It is spray coated with iron to
> make it magnetic.  To fool the tech judges.  I cant remember where he said
> he got it.

I had a set of A3 high port heads like that.  Iron filings were mixed in
epoxy, spread over the outside of the heads and they they were painted
Ford blue.  A magnet would stick so it passed tech.  I managed to get all
of it off but it took a while.

Dan Jones