[DeTomaso] Aluminum 351 Block

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 14:19:41 EST 2008

> In spite of claims to the contrary, I've only ever seen one (1.0)
> aluminum Cleveland block. Matter of fact, I carried it into a PCNC
> monthly meeting a couple of decades ago for a show-and-tell. It weighed
> 89 lbs bare.

Did it look like:

 http://www.bacomatic.org/gallery2/v/hidden/dan/dan-al351c/

> It was one of perhaps a dozen blocks cast up for Ford, for projects
> like Gurney's racers and the like.

Ford produced both aluminum 351C and 351W blocks.  The 351C blocks
tended to be used in drag racing using matching aluminum 351C-4V
heads and the 351W blocks tended to be used in road racing (early
Can Am and the GT40 program), usually fitted with Gurney-Weslake
heads.  One of the guys on the 351C forum remembered watching Wayne
Gap match race Larry Lombardo in Bill Jenkins Monza with an all
aluminum stroker Cleveland in a Pinto back in the 1970's. Some of
the blocks are said to have had 302 mains.  Both the 351W and 351C
aluminum blocks were cast well before their production cast iron
counterparts hit the streets.  The aluminum 351C block pictured in
the link above is a genuine Ford item with a casting date of 1968
(10-22-68 to be exact) which is well before the 351C was introduced.
The block has an SK part number (SK-42167), along with an #A3 change
level.  Notice the 6 bolt per cylinder head bolt pattern.  The matching
aluminum 4V heads for the block also had six bolts, though the ones
pictured on my page had the sixth bosses milled off.  The bore on
the block pictured is at 4.1".  I've been told the standard bore on
those blocks was 4.08".  Note that Jeff's block was damaged (forward
lifer area) and repaired.  That was apparently a common problem with
those blocks.

Shame Ford didn't see fit to put an all-aluminum 351C stroker
into mass production.  Would have put the Pantera into a whole
'nother category.

There were two other 351C aluminum blocks that I've heard of.
The first was referenced in the May 1983 issue of Super Stock
magazine and was made by Paul Wright at the P&S Foundry.
They made an aluminum 351-C block and you could supposedly get
them in magnesium, as well.  An address was given but is likely
outdated:

 P & S Foundry
 2740 Cory Ave.
 Akron, OH 44314
 (216) 745-2912

The second was by Pro Stock Paul at Pro Stock Engineering.
An early 1980's Hot Rod article had this to say about the
P.S.E. 351C block:

 "The 72-pound Cleveland block, cast from the same material (356-T6), can
  be purchased with the stock 351 deck or a longer 400 deck, and is available
  with standard four-bolt mains, cross-bolted like the 427s, or fitted with a
  one-piece main bearing girdle. Both blocks use all factory dimensions and
  bolt patterns but feature much thicker decks, dry sleeve configurations,
  and 360-degree oiling systems."

The address given was:

 Pro Stock Engineering
 16102 Orange Ave.
 Paramount, CA 90723
 (213) 630-4080

SJ Performance in Australia announced they were working on an aluminum
Cleveland block but initial reports were that the price would be substantially
more expensive than alternatives in the U.S. due to the unfavorabe exchange
rate.  I was informed that SJ Performance had made plans to have the block
produced at a site much closer to the U.S. with a more favorable cost and
exchange rate but that was the last I heard of it.

> Dan, thanks as always for the comprehensive update!
> Maybe I'm out of the loop . . .
> 4 bolt mains on this Buttermore block?

Yes.  Billet 4 bolt main caps from Pro Gram Engineering.

> Aluminum w/iron sleeves?

Yes. Iron blocks are also planned after the first batch of aluminum blocks
are finished.  Specifications of the aluminum block are listed as:

 Siamesed bores. Bores allow 4.15 overbore while retaining .200 walls.
 Priority Main oiling system. Sump, oil filter, crossover in front, up to main
 oil galley along side of the cam, from main oil galley to criss-crossed oil
 connection in rear of valley, through lifter oil galleys that are currently
 set to be .3125 diameter like the FE.
 4 bolt mains.
 Solid pan rails.
 Billet caps. (Splaying will come later)
 9.2 decks. (Possible 9.5 special order)
 0.63" deck thickness.
 Screw-in freeze plugs.
 Round water outlets at the decks for those who wish to tap and plug the holes.
 External: Same bolt bosses as a stock Cleveland block, including the clutch
 pivot.
 Finish: Bores unfinished. Will need to be honed to your pistons.
 Cam and crank bores unfinished. Hone to size (this was requested by the
 pro engine builders)
 Decks squared to .002-.003.

Tod had 25 people on the list for aluminum blocks (and another 25 for iron)
but I think I was 7th or 8th to actually send in the 30% deposit.  He mentioned
picking up enough sleeves to do the first 15 blocks. BTW, Tod is the guy who
produced the Robert Pond aluminum FE blocks (not the Genesis block as some
have mistakenly stated).

Dan Jones