[DeTomaso] Aluminum 351 Block

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Feb 20 13:13:23 EST 2008

In spite of claims to the contrary, I've only ever seen one (1.0) aluminum
Cleveland block. Matter of fact, I carried it into a PCNC monthly meeting a
couple of decades ago for a show-and-tell. It weighed 89 lbs bare. It was one of
perhaps a dozen blocks cast up for Ford, for projects like Gurney's racers and
the like. It accepts ALL Cleveland bolt-ons, and while it was designed to be a
dry-sump, it used an in-the-pan pump mounted between cast outriggers from
Cleveland main bearing caps, with a shaft that protruded thru the front of a
modified stock pan, to be belt driven off the crank. The rules then were quite
restrictive in terms of 'non-production' parts in racing. FWIW, this very same
historically significant block, now built into a complete streetable engine with
Yates heads, is for sale in the POCA News for March, with only test miles in
a kit-Cobra on it. I couldn't afford it in the '80s and still can't. Some
things never change.... J DeRyke