[DeTomaso] Aluminum 351 Block

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 11:06:42 EST 2008

> Did you guys know Dart makes aluminum 351c blocks

As others have pointed out, the Dart, World and Ford Motorsport blocks are
essentially Windsor designs.  They are available in 9.2" or 9.5" deck heights
(some blocks also available in 8.2" and 8.7" deck heights) with either
351W or 351C main diameters (some also available with 302 mains).  They all
take 351W timing covers, water pumps, oil pumps, oil pans and have Windsor
end seal shapes (351C intakes won't seal).  Cleveland style heads will bolt
on but the blocks have Windsor type coolant routing so you need modify
Cleveland heads for coolant flow.  The Ford Motorsport high port heads
were designed for either coolant routing.

> They make 9.2" deck blocks, but they aren't usually in stock.  You can find
> 9.5" deck blocks in aluminum all the time on ebay.  I've only seen one 9.2"
> deck aluminum block, and it was in a Pantera.

9.2" deck blocks with 351C mains are popular in cast iron as that's what is
run in many of NASCAR type classes.  The lower deck height is preferred since
it has a lower CG and the smaller mains have less bearing friction and lower
bearing speed.  Those classes don't permit aluminum blocks so you don't see
that combination as often.

> Reportedly the Ford Motorsport aluminum block is superior to both the DART
> and Fontana blocks for a variety of reasons, and it also is about $1500
> cheaper, but it is perennially on back-order.

I had not heard that.  In fact, I'd heard the Dart blocks were typically
cheaper out the door because there was less finish machining.  In any
event, be aware that many of the Ford Motorsport blocks are dry sump
(or external wet sump) designs.

> Are you referring to only Dart blocks, or all aluminum blocks?  I think there
> are a lot of 9.2 deck Fontana blocks around and I suspect they are in stock
> to pick up if you want one.  I think Joe Fontana made them originally for
> sprint cars, but said most are now in Panteras and Mustangs.

The Fontana is more of a hybrid design, sharing more 351C features and parts.
If you want one, there may be a limited supply.  I've been told that Fontana
recently sold the tooling to Shelby who has modified the blocks with a 351W
oil pan rail, a one piece rear main seal, a CS logo and, likely, a higher
price tag.

> I thought all the SBF blocks & heads were mix and match as long as you get
> the water flow right?

Yes.

> I think the Nascar guys went from 351C mains (2.75) to 302 mains (2.25) to ???
> mains (2.00).

Are you thinking of Honda journals?  If so, those are for the rod journals,
not the crank mains.

> If you download the spec sheet, it says it takes a 351W timing cover.
> Hmm, sounds like a Windsor with Cleveland mains to me. :)

Yup.

Tod Buttermore's 351C blocks are still in work.  I recently sold my XE iron
race block and a set of titanium valves and placed a deposit on one of his
aluminum 351C blocks.  He's made a couple of test blocks and claims to be
4 to 6 weeks out from delivering the first blocks to a couple of pro engine
builders for testing.  One of the blocks is going to be used for a 1600 HP
twin turbo engine so that should be a good stress test.  I'm hoping my
block will be ready in time for the dyno program but I expect the delivery
date to slide.  These things always take longer than planned.  If you are
willing to accept the risk, his price on the first batch of aluminum blocks
is $2600 ($2100 for iron), much cheaper than any other Ford aftermarket
aluminum block, but I've got to believe his price on the aluminum blocks
will rise in the future.  BTW, these are true 351C design blocks (with an
improved priority main oiling system) and accept all 351C parts (heads,
intakes, water pumps, oil pans, etc.).

Dan Jones