[DeTomaso] Feedback from someone who knows - FI & 180'S - Do headers affect scavenging in individual cylinders?

asajay at asajay.com asajay at asajay.com
Tue Feb 19 19:49:19 EST 2008

Well . . .

Back when I went through Automotive Technologies in College, I got to
my very last semester of classes.  It was engines.  Class time, then
practical applications.  Most folks brought in their car or a buddy's
car or some other engine they knew about, to rebuild.

This one set of partners worked on this 350 for weeks.  Finally got it
all installed an buttoned up in an old Blazer and turned the ignition.
On what I think was the third or fourth crank, it seized, never even
got gas into the cylinders.

It took them another two days to get the engine out, on a stand and
start taking things apart.  After removing one of the heads, they
found a bent vale and the most perfect indentation of a hex nut in a
piston top you'd ever seen.  They have no idea how it got in there
(and there really weren't any malicious folks in our class that I know
of).

I remembered that when it came time for my partner and I to work on my
first 351C.  On re-assembly, we duct-taped everything.  Intake ports,
exhaust ports, coolant ports, oil intakes, everything.  When the
manifold went on, the carb flange got duct-taped.  Every day we would
re-check all torques, on the heads, on the manifolds, on the mains and
rods.  We'd lube the system and turn over the engine by hand making
sure nothing was dropping into the cylinders and and all was turning
properly.

Yea, it kinds makes one paranoid.

Being stainless screws and washers though, I think it's going to take
a lot to hurt them, so you'll probably be okay and simply find them
all in the muffler after a good run.

. . . OH, you asked if you'd hurt the ENGINE.  Ah, sorry, my mistake. :)

Asa Jay