[DeTomaso] SPC - Do headers affect scavenging in individual cylinders?

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 19 14:39:17 EST 2008

I was looking at some headers and it occurred to me that the interaction of pulses in the collector might affect scavenging differently in individual cylinders.  While it might not produce a noticeable effect on HP, it might cause some cylinders to receive more fresh air than others.  That might not matter with a carb which mixes fuel and air based on the air flow, but with direct port EFI if the same amount of fuel is injected into each intake port, it seems like some cylinders could run lean?

  Might be an argument for equal length 180 degree headers on an EFI motor.

  Maybe use a second set of big injectors in a plenum that feeds all the cylinders?

  Maybe it's such a small effect that it doesn't matter?

  Ken