[DeTomaso] Is A Pantera On The Freeway An Idiot Magnet?

charles buthala charlesbuthala at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 19 08:57:05 EST 2008

Most of the time I have problems with people looking at the car and unintentionally merging into my lane or, BMW drivers with gold chains, and rubber band tires.

Jar <dimewagon at verizon.net> wrote:   Hey guys--

Have you noticed (of course you must have) that whenever you get out on the
freeways in your Pantera there suddenly appears race car drivers from all
sides wanting a piece of you? New Mustangs, beat-up IROC Camaros, low-buck
rice-fueled Japanese drifters, 80's Corvettes, hopped-up lowered F-150's,
Nissan Super Z's etc. etc. (it's never Porsches or Ferraris or anything
like that is it?)

There you are, calmly, politely doing 80 - 90, not bothering anybody and all
of a sudden some crazy bastard pulls up next to you and darts in and out of
surrounding cars to keep pace, then pulls away hitting about 110+ and then
slows back down beside you as if to say "Come on, Mr. Hotshot Pantera! Show
me what you got!" You ignore him, he keeps pace again for a bit then
vrroooomm!! off he goes again, thinking he is on a race track, scaring the
crap out of everbody else on the freeway. And sometimes there's more than
one.

(When I say 80 - 90, that's at 7:00 a.m. on a Sunday morning and most
certainly I do not swerve dangerously around cars, threading needles to do
it. So, you know it's not the pot here calling the kettle black.)

But damn, these guys can be annoying! Because you know, I'd like to show
them what I've got....but the freeway just ain't the place.