[DeTomaso] Voltage Reg Part Number

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Feb 15 13:58:21 EST 2008

in a message dated 2/15/08 10:44:40 AM, garth_rodericks at yahoo.com writes:

> Uh, they do fail. They may last longer, but they're not immortal. I've
> replaced 2 on my Mustang and one on the Pantera.

Yup. And if you take the cover off a 'modern' one, you find a tiny 1" circuit
board with some components on it, and little else. I once had an unusual
intermittent "regulator" failure on a Pantera. I finally removed the thing to a
bench to thoroughly check it out, and found one wire going into it was no longer
there- only a thin line of green corrosion. Apparently water had gotten on
the wire near where a crimped pin is in the multiconnector, penetrated to the
copper and essentially dissolved the copper for a distance of about a half inch
inside the undamaged insulation! This was an Eastern car where salt on winter
roads is a way of life. The problem was, the thing worked- sort of- when the
local weather was damp and the corrosion-line was conductive. FWIW- J DeRyke