[DeTomaso] Starter Problems

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Feb 15 13:44:37 EST 2008

One last note: some mini-starters can cause unexpected mounting troubles. My
McLeod, bought in the last century when these things were considered
racing-only units, is designed for an AUTOMATIC transmission car. There is a 9/16"
thick spacer included with this starter, and on our Pantera-
with either a stock flywheel or an aftermarket aluminum, I must run the big
spacer, or the bendix-gear will not engage the flywheel gear properly. And of
course, with the spacer, the stock top mounting stud was then too short, and
having both a metric thread on the bellhousing end and an SAE thread on the
starter end, I had to fabricate my own longer one. So be careful- or be well
equipped- if you buy from a Speed shop rather than a Pantera parts vendor. Good
luck- J Deryke