[DeTomaso] starting problems

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Feb 14 15:36:16 EST 2008

There really ARE no 'reasonable' gear-drive mini-starters. All cost some 3-6X
what a Pep Boyz rebuild of a stocker costs. The minis all use rare-earth
magnets, planetary geartrains, finer field windings and in the case of Tilton and
a couple of others, ball bearings in place of bushings. In my experience they
last far longer and work well. They are rated at 1.8, 2.0 and 2.4 horsepower
while a stocker is less than 1/2 horse. In deciding to buy my McLeod gear
drive, I went thru three rebuilt 'stock' assemblies, all of which failed within a
week. Turns out the brush holders in a stock Ford were bakelite while the
chinese(?) rebuilts used nylon. Under starting current load, the nylon heated up
and melted. This relaxed the spring tension on the brushes, drawing the brushes
away from their contacters. Result: no contact after a few start cycles.
Push-starting a Pantera in parking lots is demeaning.....Note that modern Ford &
GM engines now use lighter, more powerful gear drive starters; Chrysler has on
their big V-8s since the '60s. Good luck- J Deryke